Friday, January 7, 2011

Checking Out Terra.com

I logged onto Terra.com tonight, and looked around some.

When I logged in, it immediately asked me if I wanted to translate the pages to English,
but I said no, which felt ... scary! Haha!

But it was a lot of fun looking around and trying to figure things out,
after I got used to being ... confused and okay with that ;)

And, AFTER I did read the articles in English, it was a helpful tool to THEN click ' translate',
to see exaclty how much I really HAD gotten right when I tried to translate it in my head.

1] I read through this article the best I could, which I could tell was about immigration reform, and then I translated it to try and see how much I had gotten. I saw after I translated it that the article was focusing most on children born in the US who are of immigrant decent, but I was happy to see I had understood some of it in Spanish ;) It was interesting to think about how a person from Mexico might feel about the immigration issues, when they read this article and see things like it in the news all the time.

http://noticias.terra.com/noticias/conservadores_lanzaran_movimiento_fuerza_para_exigir_reforma_migratori/act2658014

Then I went over n watched some music videos! I love music and music videos, so I think I'll be spending a lot of time here!

 2] I watched one called " Hoy Lo Siento" , which I was proud to know meant " Today im sorry."  by Zion Lennox. I pulled up the lyrics on another site n read them, (translated), and then watched the video again to try and see how much I could pick out in the story now that I knew the point of it ;)

Video [ External Link cause they donthave ones on Terra]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkwjbZEEfk8

Lyrics=  http://www.letrasmania.com/letras/letras_de_canciones_zion_&_lennox_14260_letras_los_verdaderos_116144_letras_hoy_lo_siento_1117440.html

3]  I watched " Hasta Abajo" by Don Omar

http://terratv.terra.com/Entertainment/Music/Videoclips/Reggaeton/4834-266577/Music-Video-Don-Omar-Hasta-Abajo.htm

Lyrics: http://www.elyricsworld.com/hasta_abajo_lyrics_don_omar.html

It translates " Up and Down", and as far as I could tell from the lyrics,
it's about being depressed and wanting to forget it in the clubs.

I like Spanish music, but they talk so fast,
I think I will have better Learning from watching and reading other stuff on the site.
But I do like the music and videos a lot, too, still ;)

4]  New Vocab: I learned " Busca" means "Search"


5] The "Latin in America" section is in English, but it has links to some Spanish content.
    And I like that section a lot cause it shows you news from all over the country and world,
    that Spanish people would be interested in.

 -- They had a an article on a Spoof of Spiderman called the " Dominican Spiderman", and although the article was in English, there was some Spanish in the video, but I think it was slang and spoof.
    But what i DID find interesting to try and understand,
 were the COMMENTS people posted About the video, many of which were in Spanish. 

http://en.terra.com/latin-in-america/news/watch_the_dominican_spiderman/hof13100?MKT3=some_facebook

6] In summary, I liked the site a lot, and I know I'll be spending a lot of time on it in future. :]


Time on site = 9:30pm -  10:09pm
Total Time Today on Site = 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment